REALTOR® Safety Tips From SentriLock
SentriLock Cares About REALTOR® Safety, Here’s Some Information to Keep You Protected
How to Stay Safe on the Job as a REALTOR®
September is REALTOR® Safety Month, and SentriLock is committed to keeping REALTORS® safe and educated on potential risks of their job. According to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) 2022 Member Safety Report, 23% of REALTORS® experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety or safety of their personal information, most commonly after receiving a threatening or inappropriate message via phone call, email, etc. (33%). Forty percent of residential REALTORS® said that they have participated in a self-defense class, which is an increase from 2021. It is crucial to stay up to date on safety protocols and self-defense methods to prevent yourself from being in dangerous situations.
How To Protect Yourself
Here are seven safety tips for when you’re at the office or at a showing with potential buyers:
- First interactions with a client should ALWAYS be at your office or in a public area with other people around.
- Screen all potential clients with a background check and trust your gut if something feels off about their behavior.
- It’s always a good idea to host open houses with a colleague rather than by yourself.
- Connect with your local police department and be aware of the closest police station in case of emergencies.
- At showings, let your clients lead the way and avoid going into any attics or basements.
- Don’t give out more personal information than necessary. Your clients are still strangers, no matter how friendly they may be.
- Use technology with built-in safety features – Your phone is a great safety tool with built-in features like GPS location and the ability to send an SOS message.
SentriLock Has the Solution
REALTORS® often have to be in unfamiliar situations with unfamiliar people every day, which is why our SentriKey® Real Estate App is the first and only Showing Service to have a built-in Agent Safety feature. During an active showing, the app will periodically check in with the REALTOR® and will automatically alert emergency contacts if the REALTOR® does not or cannot confirm they are safe.
How To Enable The Agent Safety Feature with The SentriKey® Real Estate App
If you’re interested learning more, SentriLock will be hosting the REALTOR® Safety Webinar on September 28th with Carl Carter, Executive Director and Founder of the Beverly Carter Foundation and REALTOR® Safety Expert Tracey Hawkins.
Click here to register for this exclusive event and get the latest in safety information and statistics.