REALTOR® Safety Dos and Don’ts
The National Association of REALTORS® 2020 Member Safety Report1 shows that 31% of REALTORS® felt unsafe during either an open house or a showing and 27% reported feeling unsafe while meeting a new client at a secluded property.
At SentriLock we take REALTOR® safety seriously and have made it a part of our lockbox features to keep you safe while on the job. There are a lot of ways you can be proactive about your safety on the job. Here are a few REALTOR® safety tips to follow.
- Gather client’s information before showing a home by getting a copy of their identification.
- Always be sure your first interaction with a client is at your office or a public area.
- Two is better than one. There is safety in numbers so partner up with another REALTOR® for open houses.
- Be sure inform colleagues or family of your itinerary.
- Create a safe word or term that can be used in case of an emergency. This way you can notify someone you need help conspicuously.
- Don’t share too much information. Be friendly but do not share information that could potentially put you or your family at risk.
- Follow behind your clients. Let your client lead the way walk behind them. Most REALTORS® will not go into attics or basements.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and who has entered and exited a showing.
- Do not park in an area where you can be blocked in.
- Be sure your phone is fully charged and programmed with emergency phone numbers.
- Your SentriLock app has as safety features, you can schedule regular check-ins to assure you are safe while on the job.
- Local law enforcement is happy to help. Learn where your closest police station is located and reach out to them if you have any safety questions.
If you would like to learn more about SentriLock’s commitment to REALTOR® safety visit https://www.sentrilock.com/an-industrys-commitment-to-safety/.
SentriLock is a proud sponsor of the Beverly Carter Foundation, they offer safety seminars, educational resources, and instructor-lead training. Learn more at https://beverlycarterfoundation.org/.